This ridiculous heat wave is making me super cranky. And grumpy. And irritable.
So rather than fight my inner crab, I have decided to embrace it! That’s why today I’m sharing my list of the 10 things (besides 95 degree weather and 100% humidity) that get under my skin and make me bat s&@t crazy!
Some people would call them “pet peeves” … and I would too, if I wasn’t sitting here with a sweaty cleavage and a head full of frizzy hair (c’mon, you ladies know what I’m talking about).
Here they are, in no particular order (well, that’s not quite true … read on to find out):
1. Chewing with your mouth open. Ugh. Enough said.
2. In fact, any sort of lip smacking, slurpy noises makes me nuts. For me, it’s the equivalent of nails on a chalkboard.
3. People who refuse to walk the 15 steps it takes to return their shopping cart to the corral and instead just leave it next to their car, where it will inevitably roll and either (1) block the parking spot, or (2) slam into someone else’s car.
5. What about drivers who drive in the left high speed lane at 60mph and refuse to move over, completely oblivious (or simply not caring) about the fact that they are single-handedly screwing up the traffic behind them? Gahhh!
6. Hearing words that don’t actually exist used in everyday conversations, like “irregardless” and “excetera.” Oh, and the word “moist,” which is real but should not be used in any situation. Unless you’re talking about cake.
7. This one comes courtesy of my old days commuting via public transportation, but I still notice it here and there: Men who, for some unknown reason, feel like they need to sit with their legs spread wide open on the subway, airplane, etc., thereby reducing your personal leg space (unless you want to get all cozy with a stranger). OK, I get it, you’re a guy and I certainly don’t know what it’s like to have that kind of anatomy, but seriously, unless you are Dirk Diggler, NO ONE needs that amount of leg room. It’s gross, not to mention rude.
8. I have a whole slew of gym pet peeves (trust me, this could be its own post), but what makes me nuts at the gym are (1) people who talk on their phones mid-workout, (2) people who don’t wipe down the equipment after they use it (nasty!), and (3) when there are four open treadmills, yet the big, sweaty, sketchy dude has to pick the one right next to me.
9. People who throw trash and litter out their car window. Really?
10. And … drumroll please … the gross misuse of apostrophes. Yes, this is my biggest pet peeve. I know, not terribly exciting, but I am really starting to think they stopped teaching grammar in school, because I can’t go anywhere without seeing apostrophe errors: notices sent home from my son’s school, advertisements in the paper, signs in front of businesses and, yes, even products sold at Kohl’s:
Tell me: What ruffles your feathers?